This is a podcast of the webinar ‘The Rinehart decision explained – estate planning 101 and other lessons’ held on 24 June 2015.
The webinar was presented by Patrick Ellwood and Matthew Burgess, directors of View and widely recognised as two of Australia’s leading revenue focused lawyers in this area.
The recent decision in Hancock v Rinehart  NSWSC 646 (28 May 2015), highlights how any estate planning and business succession exercise can potentially result in years of protracted litigation, and the complete breakdown in family relationships.
This webinar provided practical insights into the estate planning process by methodically tracing the Rinehart matter. The webinar covered:
- Lang Hancock’s will and estate planning strategies
- the Tax Office Private Rulings obtained by Gina Rinehart
- the impact of trust vesting dates and trusteeship;
- the recent decision to hand Bianca Rinehart control of the ‘Hope Margaret Hancock Trust’ and a $5 Billion asset; and
- the roles and responsibilities of professional advisers providing tax and estate planning advice.