This is a podcast of the webinar ‘Bust proofing trusts’ held on 8 October 2015.
The webinar was presented by Patrick Ellwood and Matthew Burgess director of View Legal and widely recognised as two of Australia’s leading revenue focused lawyers in this area.
Longstanding views about the form and level of asset protection afforded by trusts have been challenged and made less certain by a number of recent court decisions and legislative changes.
This presentation explored the key issues to consider when seeking to “bust-proof” a trust, including:
- minimising challenges on taxation grounds;
- the consequences of recent family court decisions involving trusts;
- practical recommendations when dealing with structuring new trusts;
- the ongoing impact of the decision in the Richstar case in 2006;
- relevant bankruptcy issues; and
- the critical issues to consider whenever establishing or amending a trust deed.